The Cathedral of Saint John, Lafayette 0131A115
The Cathedral of St. John
On March 21, 1822, Jean Mouton donated nearly five acres for the Church of St. Jean, the first permanent church in Lafayette, then known as Vermilion. It is the third church on site, completed in 1916. It is built in the Dutch Romanesque style and has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and The Cathedral of St. John. The cemetery located directly behind the church dates back to 1820 and includes prominent citizens and politicians who founded the city and state.
Perhaps more tourists flock to see the majestic Love oak Tree on the grounds than the Cathedral itself. It is estimated to be around 500 years old and measures 8.5 feet in diameter, with a circumference of 26.7 feet. Standing approximately 125 high with a spread of 210 feet, the largest limb has been computed to weigh 72 tons. Fonville took this photograph sometime in the late 1930’s.
Back to Collections